These are so simple to make and are such a delicious light treat!
*3 cups of self raising flour
(could choose to use wholemeal if preferred)
(chilled and cubed)
*1 1/4 cups of milk
(we substituted milk for almond milk)
*80g pitted dates chopped roughly
*Plain flour to dust
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2. Sift self-raising flour into a large bowl. Using finger tips rub butter into flour until you have crumble type texture. Add chopped dates and mix together.
3. Make a well in centre of the flour. Add 1 cup of milk and mix together using a butter knife, this allows the mixture to combine without over mixing. You want to have a soft dough, not too wet and not too dry. Add the extra milk if required.
4. Sprinkle some plain flour onto a clean bench space and place dough onto bench. Gently kneed until smooth (be careful not to over kneed dough).
5. Using a round cutter about 2 cm thick cut out scones, you should be able to get 16 rounds from dough.
6. Line a baking tray with baking paper and sprinkle tray with plain flour.
7. Place scones on tray and lightly sprinkle with plain flour.
8. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Serve with jam & cream or just a little butter as the dates they have there own sweetness.