I love warm drinks, like tea and coffee but the health benefits of drinking tea and coffee all day aren't so great, especially when you drink it with sugar and milk! So I find hot water with lemon a great alternative!
Here are some benefits to drinking hot water and lemon:
1. Aids in digestion: Lemon juice flushes out unwanted toxins from the body. It encourages the liver to produce bile which is an acid that is required for digestion. Lemons are also high in minerals and vitamins and help loosen toxins in the digestive tract.
2. Cleanses your system: As lemon juice helps to flush out unwanted toxins, in part because lemons increase the rate of urination in the body. Toxins are released at a faster rate which helps keep your urinary tract healthy.
3. Balances pH Levels: Lemons are one of the most alkalizing foods for the body. Lemons contain both citric and ascorbic acid, weak acids easily metabolized from the body allowing the mineral content of lemons to help alkalize the blood. Disease states only occur when the body pH is acidic. Drinking lemon water regularly can help to remove overall acidity in the body, including uric acid in the joints, which is a primary cause of pain and inflammation.
4. Clears skin: The vitamin C component as well as other antioxidants within lemons help to decrease wrinkles and blemishes and can help to combat free radical damage. Vitamin C is vital for healthy glowing skin while its alkaline nature kills some types of bacteria known to cause acne.
5. Aids in weight-loss: Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings. Studies have shown people who maintain a more alkaline diet, do in fact lose weight faster.